Taking stock

Saturday, June 29, 2013

In a post on 31st December last year, I described how I was trying to write up my PhD thesis - and knit a companion cardigan - in 6 months. As I seem to be in the blogging groove right now, I thought I should report back on my progress.

Well, I haven't finished writing up, but I've made a good stab at it! I've done 6 chapters, totalling 58,000 words (not that I'm counting, or anything). I'm pacing the knitting with the writing, so - assuming I don't have to go back and significantly rework anything - the latest picture of the cardi gives a good indication of my progress towards completion.

I'm writing this just before embarking on the final major section, an analysis of all the interesting things that emerged during the Re-Knitting and Free Knitting project. I've already written two chapters about what we did, so this is my chance to pull out the less obvious findings.

Over the past few months, I've transcribed the many, many hours of workshop recordings, and summarised then to compress hundreds of pages of conversation about cardigans to a more manageable size. Now, I get to code - yay! - these summaries and pull out some of the fascinating strands.

And knit the second sleeve.

My new deadline (as it was all along, really) is to submit my thesis by the end of September. Here goes...

Category:

Tags: